Greetings! This post is to inform you about the new Moodle instance, changes to the Moodle policy and a reminder to backup copies of your current courses.
It is that time of year! The old Moodle instance will be archived and the new instance will be live on May 19. The old instance will be renamed to https://moodle2013.beloit.edu. A link to the archived instance will be posted on the Moodle Archive page. Faculty and students will have the same access they do now. The new Moodle instance will be live on May 19 and will be found at https://moodle.beloit.edu. If you would like to visit the site before May 19 (to work on your course sites) you may do so by navigating to https://moodle1415.beloit.edu. This instance is running version 2.6.x. There are some additional features in this version that should improve the working experience in Moodle. Below is a short list (see the full list here).
- Go Paperless! Easily review and provide in-line feedback by annotating on PDF files directly within browser. (This should be available by the beginning of the Fall semester.) Watch this video for a preview about how it will function.
- Conveniently allocate student assignments to different markers, and control when marks are released to individual students.
- Quickly edit course activities and resources across all devices.
Changes to Moodle Policy We have updated the Moodle policy to reflect changes in how we manage Moodle instances.
- A new Moodle instance will be created for each academic year. The current instance will be found at https://moodle.beloit.edu. New instances will be created over the winter break of the preceding academic year e.g. Moodle for 2015-16 will be created over winter break 2014-15.
- In order to support Summer block courses in a timely manner, the Moodle instance for the just-completed academic year will be archived the week after commencement. The instance will be renamed to https://moodle1314.beloit.edu. Future instances will follow this convention (https://moodleyy1yy2.beloit.edu e.g. https://moodle1415.beloit.edu for the 2014-15 academic year). The renamed instance will be kept for four academic years and then be deleted. You can access the archive site(s) on the Moodle Archive page.
- Academic courses and course enrollments are created automatically in Moodle through an integration between JICS (the Portal) and Moodle. New courses are generally added to Moodle after Advising week.
Backup and Restore
If you need to restore a course file for the fall 2014 semester that is larger than 100MB please contact your instructional technology liaison to assist.
Please make sure to back up and download copies of the courses you may want to use in the future. Instructions to do so can be found below.
Please contact Instructional Technology if you have any questions.