Grading and Student Notifications in Moodle.
It appears that new function in Moodle 2.6 may be able to allow more control over the notifications that students receive and when they receive them. This is an exciting development!
A new capability called 'marking workflow' has been added into Moodle 2.6. From the Assignments settings page on Moodle.org,
"One advantage of using marking workflow is that the grades can be hidden from students until they are set to 'Released'.Below is the section from the documentation page pertaining to marking workflow:
Use marking workflow
When set to Yes, teachers will be able to specify the stage they are at in their grading of individual assignments (as in the screenshot below)
One advantage of using marking workflow is that the grades can be hidden from students until they are set to 'Released'. The actual list of steps are:
- Not marked (the marker has not yet started)
- In marking (the marker has started but not yet finished)
- Marking completed (the marker has finished but might need to go back for checking/corrections)
- In review (the marking is now with the teacher in charge for quality checking)
- Ready for release (the teacher in charge is satisfied with the marking but wait before giving students access to the marking)
- Released (the student can access the grades/feedback)