Moodle for 2015-2016 is running version 2.8. This version contains a number of updates. A lot of work has gone in this version to make it as user-friendly as possible. A few noteworthy changes are listed below. Click here to see the full list.
Enhancements for everyone:
- Text autosave - The Atto text editor will automatically save your text as you type, keeping your content secure before you publish it.
- New user menu - A new user menu gives quick access to personal pages such as My home and profile settings.
Enhancements for students:
- Subscribe to discussions - You can now subscribe to individual forum discussions and get email copies of just the replies you want! See Forum settings.
Enhancements for teachers:
- Gradebook improvements - Many improvements have been made to the gradebook, with the grader report now functional across all devices with smooth scrolling. Cells can be quickly edited without reloading.
- Single view - A new Single view allows you to make quick edits to one item or one user.
- Natural weighting - This new aggregation method combines grades simply with a clearer interface for using weights. Extra credit, excluded grades and hidden grades are all supported.
- Attach files to assignments - Teachers can now attach files for students when setting up assignments, such as example submissions or answer templates. See Assignment settings.
- Improvements to Quiz - The Edit quiz page has been rewritten for improved accessibility, making it much easier to add and manage questions. See Building Quiz. You can also set completion conditions based on a passing grade or when all available attempts have been used up.
When a person logs in to Moodle they will now be taken to their own “My Home” page. This page provides a list of current enrolled courses in the middle of the page, a Navigation and Administration blocks on the left, a Latest News (Moodle) and Beloit College Events blocks on the right. This page may be customised by clicking the Customise this page button. After doing so you will be able to change the locations of the blocks to your liking and add others if you wish.
Current Courses Category
Up to this point all courses have been contained within a specific departmental category. Moving forward all courses for a particular semester will be contained within a single category, titled “Current Courses.” Courses will be listed alphabetically. This list of courses will be available on the site home page. To get to the list, navigate to:
- Click Site home in the Navigation block
- Click the All courses link in the My Courses block
Updated Quick Links
The links at the top of the Moodle page have been updated to offer you easier and faster access to resources.
- “Beloit College” - These are links to college services like the Terrarium and Portal. You can access your Beloit College Google account from here as well.
- “Moodle@Beloit” - This contains links to help resources (Teacher and Student guides), a link to the Moodle Archive and other helpful resources.
- “Library” - This has links to the catalog and to subject guides hosted on LibGuides.
- “ITEC” - This is for Instructional Technology, sharing links to the Digital Media Toolbox and other resources.